Re: About i386 support

Hello,

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 5:15 PM Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20-05-2024 4:50 p.m., Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > There is a tension here between the interests of (a) users that want to
> > run proprietary i386 binaries on 64-bit CPUs, and (b) those who want to
> > keep using 32-bit CPUs.  If i386 is meant for group (a) then the
> > baseline should be raised to include the features that 64-bit CPUs
> > provide, but if it's also for group (b) then this mustn't happen.
>
> The Release Team expects the Debian i386 official port to go to (a).
>
> Paul, wearing his Release Team hat.

LOL, I hope so too...
However, the future stable version will feature RISC-V (at least it's
expected), which is good news. The end of support for 32 bits will not
affect the lives of almost anyone who has machines purchased after
2011 and who bought them after that, which I know was the year I
bought a machine starting to use Debian 1 year later. Another
interesting development that is underway and is inherent to the topic
would be the time_t transition (the 2038 problem).

--
Cheers,
Leandro Cunha