Re: About i386 support

On 5/19/24 17:30, rhys@neoquasar.org wrote:
I have an N270 system I can use to contribute, if someone is willing to explain what I need to do to make it useful.

Hi,

If you allow me ... I was expecting someone else to write it before me, but seeing nobody does, let me try.

... The issue isn't only about how many contributors, or how much effort they put into it, but how much *everyone* in the project wants to spend time on i386 support.

For example, *I* don't care at all about 32 bits arch, and would prefer if these were to be sent to ports.debian.org. I really mean *all* 32 bits arch, including armhf for example.

Indeed, it's annoying each time when:
- I have to pin Arch: in debian/tests/control for example, only because some packages have dropped 32 bits support (hint: sometimes, because some of them also maintained by myself as well, like OpenVSwitch, for example). - I have to care for failed build (often because of unit tests) in i386 of packages I know wont mater for these arch.

And this is only 2 examples. This is a considerable loss of my (limited) contributor time.

If 32 bits support was removed from Debian, this would make my (Debian) life easier, while I have zero use of 32 bits. If I had to setup Linux on a pi-zero, I probably would choose a more embedded distro than Debian anyways, and that's what I would recommend to anyone. Anyone running Debian on a non-amd64 capable laptop, at this time, should stop procrastinate, and get decent hardware (as mentioned earlier in this thread, cheap 2nd hands amd64 laptops are *very* cheap).

Because I know others care, I continue to make the effort when possible. But these others should remember that's annoying me, and should weight the collective cost, because I might not be the only one... and everyone slightly involved in maintaining Debian might have, at some point, loss some time on 32 bits support.

So this is a collective decision we should make: is 32 bits still relevant enough for spending (wasting?) our collective (limited) time on it? I'd vote no ... Especially considering i386 can become an unofficial port for those who care. Even if I will respect our community decision until the majority agrees, and will continue to do my best with i386 support until then, it has to happen one day. The only question is how long. Can Trixie be the last release with 32 bits support?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)