Re: Changes to abi=+time64 behavior (was Re: 64-bit time_t transition in progress)

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 at 15:24:50 +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> But fundamentally, how do we know how third-party binaries
> are compiled ?

We don't, but we can make some inferences.

If they are i386 binaries that already worked on Debian 12 or older,
and they call into time_t-sensitive ABIs (for instance X509_cmp_time()
in OpenSSL might be a good example), then they must have been compiled
with the expectation that time_t was 32-bit, because that's the ABI that
Debian 12 provided.

If they didn't already work on Debian 12 or older, then it isn't a
regression that they also don't work on Debian 13.

    smcv