Re: Changes to abi=+time64 behavior (was Re: 64-bit time_t transition in progress)

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 at 05:03:23 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> if the maintainer
> has requested it explicitly via DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=abi=+time64, then
> it should enable it also on i386 (changed behavior).
>
> The reason is that this does not now break ABI for any package (in Debian
> or out of Debian) that might have already opted-in to that feature, it
> does not require adding all the necessary flags manually if one wants
> to opt-in on i386, and makes it possible to selectively enable time64
> on [non-library] packages where the binary backwards compatibility make
> no sense

I think this is a good improvement. Another advantage of this change is
that libraries that use time_t internally, but have been confirmed not to
break ABI when it's enabled and don't call time_t APIs in their non-glibc
dependencies, can easily opt-in to enabling it on i386 too. Some do this
upstream already (like dbus and libsdl3 in experimental) but many don't.

To put this another way, the argument for not doing the transition to
time64-everywhere on i386 was "we don't want to break third-party i386
binaries", but ideally we should still be enabling time64, even on i386,
in the cases where it *won't* break third-party binaries.

    smcv