Re: 64-bit time_t transition in progress

On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 12:04:49PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> > debian-devel-announce wouldn't let me attach the file, but for those on
> > debian-devel at least, you can find the dd-list of to-be-NMUed source
> > packages attached.

> From what I understand, for most of the packages involved a rebuild is
> enough

This list of packages are the packages that require sourceful changes
because the runtime library packages must be renamed to declare the ABI
incompatibility (or, if a package rename is not appropriate, then managed
Breaks: against binaries built against the old ABI).

We have a list of the packages that need no-change-rebuilds, but it's not
this list.

> but this rebuild must be done after that of all their dependencies
> (dependencies of dependencies etc...) involved to avoid unexpected events
> that could cause crashes on some architectures (in cases ABI changes
> occurred in the underlying dependencies but the rebuild was done before
> one of those).

> Having a package that depends on many and that part of those are themselves
> involved in various other chains, how do NMU (when needed) to unstable and
> rebuilds of other packages happen?

> A single NMU on unstable or rebuild (for each package involved) but with
> such an order so that when it is done all dependencies are already rebuild,
> or with multiple rebuilds between the various migration chains involved?

Once all of the library packages have been uploaded to unstable and rebuilt,
we will push no-change rebuilds of all packages depending on the old runtime
library names.

There should be no need for multiple rounds of uploads; *all* packages with
dependencies on *any* of the renamed libraries will be triggered as a batch.
There may be build failures if there are interdependencies between some of
these packages because of unsatisfiable build dependencies, but those will
be resolved semi-automatically in cooperation with the buildd maintainers
and only one round of builds will actually be required.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/