Re: Yearless copyrights: what do people think?

Quoting Jérémy Lal (2023-02-22 17:04:01)

> >     Peter> Hi, So I've seen this idea floating around in the past couple
> >     Peter> of years (and in some places even earlier), but I started
> >     Peter> doing it for the couple of pieces of software that I am
> >     Peter> upstream for after reading Daniel Stenberg's blog entry:
> >     Peter> https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/01/08/copyright-without-years/
> >
> >     Peter> And then, a couple of weeks ago, I quietly checked whether
> >     Peter> the Debian FTP team would be okay with that by uploading two
> >     Peter> NEW packages without any years mentioned in the
> >     Peter> debian/copyright file: either upstream or for my Debian
> >
> > As Jonas mentions, including the years allows people to know when works
> > enter the public domain and the license becomes more liberal.
> > I think our users are better served by knowing when the Debian packaging
> > would enter the public domain.
> >

> Maybe only the first year the copyright was applied is important ?

Possibly, yes.  My advice is to include upstream stated sane¹ years.

Reason for that is that several licenses require verbatim copy of
copyright statements.  Requirement² is not literal, only verbatim, which
I interpret as it's ok to e.g. translate "2001, 2002, 2003" into
"2001-2003" but not ok to translate it into "2001" since that is clearly
removing some "words".

 - Jonas

¹ When upstream says 2001-now then only include 2001, because "now" is
an insane expression in the context of copyright statements.

² Yeah, requirement is aguably only commonly relevant for source, not
for debian/copyright files, but that's a somewhat different topic.

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones