Yearless copyrights: what do people think?

Hi,

So I've seen this idea floating around in the past couple of years
(and in some places even earlier), but I started doing it for
the couple of pieces of software that I am upstream for after reading
Daniel Stenberg's blog entry:
  https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/01/08/copyright-without-years/

And then, a couple of weeks ago, I quietly checked whether
the Debian FTP team would be okay with that by uploading two NEW
packages without any years mentioned in the debian/copyright file:
either upstream or for my Debian packaging. And, lo and behold,
they were both accepted (python-parse-stages and python-test-stages).

So how do people feel about this in general, would it be okay for
me to start doing it:
a) for other packages that I maintain personally, outside any team
b) for team-maintained packages (I guess this one might be a per-team
   decision, discussed separately on the appropriate lists)

(obviously, I'm not asking for permission or anything; apparently
 at least one member of the FTP team is okay with me doing it at
 least for some packages. This is more of a "float the idea, see
 what people think about doing this more widely, not just me")

Thanks for reading this far, and keep up the great work!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13