Re: Yearless copyrights: what do people think?

Le mer. 22 févr. 2023 à 15:39, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> a écrit :
> [...]

    Peter> Hi, So I've seen this idea floating around in the past couple
    Peter> of years (and in some places even earlier), but I started
    Peter> doing it for the couple of pieces of software that I am
    Peter> upstream for after reading Daniel Stenberg's blog entry:
    Peter> https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/01/08/copyright-without-years/

    Peter> And then, a couple of weeks ago, I quietly checked whether
    Peter> the Debian FTP team would be okay with that by uploading two
    Peter> NEW packages without any years mentioned in the
    Peter> debian/copyright file: either upstream or for my Debian

As Jonas mentions, including the years allows people to know when works
enter the public domain and the license becomes more liberal.
I think our users are better served by knowing when the Debian packaging
would enter the public domain.

Maybe only the first year the copyright was applied is important ?

Jérémy