Re: Security (Was: OpenMPI 5.0 to be 32-bit only ?)

Hi,

The push-back from upstream is that they're unconvinced anyone is actually using i386 for MPI.

For example, MPI is configured to use PMIx but its thought that doesn't work on 32-bit, but no bugs have been reported.

Either we increase our 32-bit testing regime, or realistically consider it marginal and dying.

Currently I'm favouring accepting a move to 64-bit OpenMPI as a fait accompli as part of code cleanups for 5.X (post Bookworm), and Debian moving to MPICH on at least 32-bit archs - I'd favour OpenMPI on 64-bit archs for better incoming-code-and-compatability support.

I'd like to hear the case otherwise.

Best regards
Alastair