OpenMPI 5.0 to be 32-bit only ?

Hi

I've been pinged by the upstream maintainer of OpenMPI    Jefff Squyres as to our opinions on maintaining 32-bit support.

See a  thread here: https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/11282

Until now I've asked for OMPI to hold off going to 64-bit only; saying we can help with the maintenance burden with our testing infrastructure.

But we're not well suited to run multi-node test jobs.

If 32-bit support is dropped in OMPI we can switch to MPICH as the default on those archs instead, but the core problem remains: how much can we support and test on 32-bit?

(Note:  We're at OpenMPI 4.1.4 now for Bookworm; no change planned)

Comments please,

Alastair McKinstry

--
Alastair McKinstry,
GPG: 82383CE9165B347C787081A2CBE6BB4E5D9AD3A5