Re: ITP: golang-github-microsoft-go-winio -- Win32 IO-related utilities for Go

* Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> [231026 06:43]:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 08:35:51AM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > > Go has the extremely nice feature that cross-compiling for other
> > > architectures and OSs is very easy.  I have, on a number of occasions
> > > used Debian to cross-compile Go programs for Windows.
> > >
> > > I have no particular interest in this package, but yes, it is
> > > appropriate to package a Windows-only Go package in Debian.
> >
> > Why would it be in debian though?
> >
> > Go provides a repository for libraries. I thought we were packaging libraries
> > in debian if they were a requirement for things used in debian, that can't
> > just download libraries when building (which is the normal way in go)
>
> This is true. It makes sense to package go libraries in debian only when
> some target package actually depends on it. In this case, for me it
> makes no sense to have a windows specific go library in debian.

>From the original ITP:
  This golang package is dependency to my program I am packaging for Debian.

As I said, I do not know about or care about this particular package.
My statement was meant to correct what looked like a blanket statement
that windows-only Go packages should not be in Debian.

If you were saying that _the package in question_ should not be
packaged, that was not clear; you did not give any reason that I could
see other than it is windows-only.  That fact should not have any
bearing on the reasons for packaging or not packaging.

[BTW, I am subscribed to d-devel; no need to (B)CC me.]

...Marvin