Re: ITP: golang-github-microsoft-go-winio -- Win32 IO-related utilities for Go

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 08:35:51AM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > Go has the extremely nice feature that cross-compiling for other
> > architectures and OSs is very easy.  I have, on a number of occasions
> > used Debian to cross-compile Go programs for Windows.
> >
> > I have no particular interest in this package, but yes, it is
> > appropriate to package a Windows-only Go package in Debian.
>
> Why would it be in debian though?
>
> Go provides a repository for libraries. I thought we were packaging libraries
> in debian if they were a requirement for things used in debian, that can't
> just download libraries when building (which is the normal way in go)

This is true. It makes sense to package go libraries in debian only when
some target package actually depends on it. In this case, for me it
makes no sense to have a windows specific go library in debian.

One could easily compile for another OS or whatever target by fetching the
library - there is no need to have a specific debian package for it. I
don't expect anyone as such to use a debian package to compile things
for another OS.

Best,
Nilesh