Re: AltGr+<Key> not working anymore on most Desktop apps in Gnome

Hi Andrew,

At 2023-10-23T10:41:10+1300, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-10-22 at 13:18 +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> > fixed the problem. It is strange this option seems to be affected by
> > the keyboard settings in gnome settings, however i changed all
> > options back and forth in the GUI so they should work, but it
> > somehow didn't.  Resetting the option above fixed it. Since I've
> > never used dconf before, I guess there is a bug somewhere that lead
> > to this situation.
>
> Possibly not related, but a friend noted that after a recent Gentoo
> update his compose key stopped working. Turned out to be a conflict
> between the XkbOptions compose:ralt and grp:switch which were both
> enabled. Turns out something has changed and if they're both set it
> won't work.

I had been surprised to learn earlier this year that quite a bit of
cleanup work has been going on in XKB upstream.

In fact, prior to some CVEs that cropped up last month, such cleanup,
undertaken by at least 3 different people, has dominated recent libx11
development.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/commits/master

Way back when I was maintaining Debian's XFree86 packages, I had
despaired of such an effort ever being understaken.

It's a good thing to see.  But I would not be surprised if some formerly
invalid-but-quietly-accepted configuration combinations, which so often
in XKB seem to arise from cargo-cult practices, start behaving
differently, or stop behaving at all.

Regards,
Branden