Re: Reducing allowed Vcs for packaging?

At 2023-03-26T13:56:55-0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Sat 04 Mar 2023 at 10:58PM +01, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > But git or svn or even sccs and rcs is NOT, in any way, preferred
> > for of modification. Only one way of storage and handling some
> > metadata.
>
> This is Debian's official position, but it's debateable.
>
> There is the preferred form for modification for an individual *file*,
> and that probably doesn't include version control.  But the preferred
> form for modifying a *project* arguably does.

I wonder if, after twelve years, we have any empirical data regarding
whether Red Hat's stance, that change sets (discretized by the process
of commits to VCSes) are not constitutive of the "preferred form for
modifying a copyrighted work" when that is the form invariably used by
those performing the modifications, frustrated Oracle's aims, or whether
this deliberately anemic interpretation of the GPL was a perfomative
weakening of copyleft to little or no commercial advantage.

https://lwn.net/Articles/432012/

Regards,
Branden