Re: icc-profiles_2.2_source.changes REJECTED

Quoting Simon McVittie (2023-02-27 13:04:25)
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 12:22:34 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I am not convinced, however, that this issue is a bug in lintian:
> > The testcase you ask for is the actual files in the icc-profiles source
> > package which already is already correctly identified by lintian.  I.e.
> > issue is not that some different files get misdetected but instead that
> > lintian _correctly_ identifies the files in this non-free package and
> > _correctly_ classifies those as unsuitable in main
>
> That's correct to a point, but it seems wrong for lintian to be emitting a
> tag that means "this package is unsuitable for main and that's a problem"
> for a package in non-free. Yes, we know it's unsuitable for main, and
> the maintainer has acknowledged that by uploading it to non-free... it
> doesn't seem like there is any benefit to having an unfixable Lintian
> error as well.
>
> Or if the interpretation of the tag is "you should use the copy of this
> file from icc-profiles instead of shipping your own copy", then the lintian
> check should have a special case to silence that tag when the package being
> checked *is* icc-profiles.
>
> There are similar special cases in other parts of Lintian. For example,
> it looks for embedded code copies of zlib, but that check has a special
> case to avoid it being triggered by zlib itself, because obviously zlib
> should be allowed to ship zlib code; and similarly checks for a bundled
> font like Deja Vu shouldn't trigger for fonts-dejavu itself.

Ah, I was unaware that lintian at other places includes exceptions like
that, an that lintian is expected to do reliable assessments in this
kind of tests.

When that's the case, then please, Bastien (or others skilled with
internals of lintian) please refine the tests for icc-profiles contents
to exclude icc-profiles package itself.

(I'll file a bugreport against lintian if I notice no actions from this)

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones