Re: DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nowerror

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 09:14:15 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:
> > In a typical build system like Autotools, CMake or Meson, it's going to
> > be much, much easier for the answer to be yes, because the obvious way
> > to make linters easy to run is to implement them as a (slightly
> > specialized) test.
>
> I agree for separate linters, but I'm not sure this is true for -Werror.

Oh, yes, absolutely - I was thinking only of tools like shellcheck here,
not -Werror. Yes, I agree that if -Werror is in-scope for a
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS flag (whether it's called nolint or nofatalwarnings or
whatever), it wouldn't make much sense for nocheck to disable -Werror.

I think if we say that nocheck MAY disable some or all lint checks,
that covers everything? (It will often disable shellcheck while not
affecting -Werror, but a MAY allows that).

    smcv