Re: Need a buildd build after trip through NEW -- best practice?

Am Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:09:20AM +0000 schrieb Holger Levsen:

> it's rather easy to do too, though maybe there should be something in src:devscripts
> implementing something along these lines:

Sure its easy and may be everybody (including me) has written some local
scripts.  The fact that it is easy is no good reason to force a lot of
developers to work on the symptoms, that binary name changes have to
pass NEW.  IMHO Debian would be an easier place if this would not be the
case.

To give some example: bamtools has an RC bug #1015861 which is now
pending for five months due to passing NEW.  And yes, I have pinged on
IRC about this - no idea what the proper pinging frequency might be.  In
nearly all cases it worked nicely for me by fast processing by ftpmaster
(and I again use this chance to thank the ftpmaster team for this.)  On
the other hand I'd love to pull some work from their shoulders and I
keep on thinking that binary name changes force passing NEW is a burden
for them that can be removed.  In a previous thread about this Scott
Kitterman gave some explanation[1] which I summarize here (please read
full posting of Scott[1] to get the whole arguments - may be the summary
is to short):

  1. Second pair of eyeballs verifying that SONAME bump has not
     broken anything.
  2. New binary package "steals" binary from another source.
  3. Overall sense of the rename.

  It's not just let's do extra copyright/license checks.
  (which was the only argument I have heard before - AT)

In his mail Scott explicitly said:

   Speaking only for myself, not the FTP Team.

I admit I like the technical arguments given by Scott.  However, to my
perception the issues named above might be uncovered by automated tools
we are just using and would raise according bug reports.  In my
(possibly naive) eyes the issue is caused by a "feature" in the
ftpmaster scripts and could be solved by enhancing those scripts -
provided that we as a community decide that the migration via NEW
is not really needed in case of binary name changes.  So should we
vote about this (and if yes is there any volunteer to implement this
change.)

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/01/msg00231.html