Need a buildd build after trip through NEW -- best practice?

Commonly, I update a package that provides a shared library.  Due to the
package naming convention, a new SOVERSION necessitates a trip through NEW,
which in turn means a binary upload.

The binary upload cannot transition to testing -- a buildd binary build is
required.  So far as I know -- assuming [1] is still up-to-date, this means a
nuisance upload just bumping the debian revision from -1 to -2.  Is this still
the recommended practice?

I've also been wondering about the "Give Back" action button on the buildd log
page.  It doesn't work in this case because "Package in state Installed,
cannot give back. ✗".  Wondering if the logic can be modified to also check
whether the build was done on a buildd -- e.g. check whether the logs column
contains "no log".  If it wasn't a buildd build, can the giveback be allowed?

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SourceOnlyUpload