Re: rules-needs-root: yes (Was: popularity-contest: support for XB-Popcon-Reports: no)

On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 11:31:37AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > If there's a growing list of boolean control fields, isn't it the
> > indication that some sort of tagging system might make more sense?
> >
> > Instead of three lines:
> >
> > XB-Popcon-Reports: no
> > Rules-Requires-Root: yes
> > Pants-Need-Washing: yes
> >
> > The same package could use a single line:
> >
> > Tags: no-popcon-reports, rules-needs-root, pants-need-washing
>
> ACK.
>
> > (aside: by default rules doesn't need root... that would make one not-
> > very-useful line less in so many packages!)
>
> I'd like to stress this!  If "rules-needs-root: no" would be default
> the majority of packages could be build.  So why not making this the
> default and just specify
>    rules-needs-root: yes
> if needed?
First, strictly speaking it's not boolean, at least until #975637 is
implemented.
Second, changing the default is a breaking change. Is there any statistics
how many of the packages not already having a Rules-Requires-Root field
(which are a half of them according to trends.d.n) are working fine with
Rules-Requires-Root: no?
Also note that "yes" doesn't exist, the correct value for the current
default is "binary-targets".

--
WBR, wRAR