Re: popularity-contest: support for XB-Popcon-Reports: no

Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> writes:

> I plan to add support for 'XB-Popcon-Reports: no' to popularity-contest.
> This allows to build packages with private names that will not be
> reported to popcon, by adding 'XB-Popcon-Reports: no' to debian/control.
> This must not used by packages in the debian archive, however that can
> be used by packages generators that create packages with randomly
> generated names (package names that include 128bit uuid for examples) or
> by organizations that generates packages for internal use whose name
> include the organization name.

> The rationale is that the only info really leaked is the package name,
> so it only make sense to hide a package if every system that have it
> installed are also hiding it, so it is better to make it a property of
> the package than of the system.

> Any comment ?

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Using an additional binary package control field felt weird to me, and I
wanted to believe there was some better place to put this information
rather than introducing yet another boolean control field, but after
thinking about it for a bit, I couldn't think of any better place that
made much sense.