Re: generic viewer for md files

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 04:29:54PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Lowdown indeed has some interesting features as interactive Markdown
> *reader* - thanks for mentioning.  Package description however does not
> mention if _always_ a superset of markdown/CommonMark is parsed or the
> tool can be told to parse conservatively as well - perhaps relevant to
> add such information to the package long description?

lowdown describes itself primarily as a translator rather than a reader
(that part is already in the package description). There are indeed many
customization options with regards to disabling various features,
whether markup extension-related (Markdown, CommonMark, GFM,
MultiMarkdown, PHP Extra) or otherwise, such as --parse-no-cmark.
lowdown(1) and lowdown(5) have all the details (in the package or on the
website). I'll try to find a way to document that in the long
description in a future upload; thank you for the suggestion.

> For *packaging* Markdown-authored documentation, where common format is
> html and plaintext, I still recommend to first consider more
> conservative and lightweight options¹, then more conservative yet heavy
> options² - i.e. only consider exciting tools when boring ones are
> unsuitable.

Agreed, and why I recommended lowdown as a pretty conservative and
lightweight option. cmark is a good option too; pandoc is as well, if
bootstrapping is not a concern.

Regards,
Faidon