Re: generic viewer for md files

Hello All, thanks for your replies.

On 24/01/2022 12:10, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Hi Jerome,

Quoting Jerome BENOIT (2022-01-24 10:36:50)
is there a virtual package for viewing MD documents
(as the virtual package pdf-viewer is for PDF documents) ?

I assume that by MD you mean markdown...

indeed

No, Debian has no general virtual "markdown-viewer" package.

Unlike PDF and DjVu, Markdown is by design sloppy which has lead to a
multitude of "flavors", so I suspect it is unlikely that we can find any
common baseline that such virtual package should promise to provide.

Possibly it would make sense to define a
"commonmark-github-flavored-viewer" since that is a reasonably popular
flavor?

Here are some markdown viewers/editors currently in Debian:

  * grip
  * formiko
  * mdp
  * pampi
  * ghostwriter
  * kookbook
  * retext

Why do you ask? Because you are looking for markdown viewers or because
you are packaging one and want to declare it as such, or...?

I am asking because a software that I am currently packaging has its documents
in MarDown (GitHub flavour, I guess).

So my understanding now is that there is no point to look for a generic MD viewer.

Therefore I am now considering to convert them in PDF and/or HTML documents.

Cheers,
Jerome

  - Jonas

--
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net