Re: The future of src:ntp

* Richard Laager <rlaager@debian.org> [220119 14:34]:
> On 1/19/22 9:49 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> > AFAICT other than systemd-timesyncd being installed by default we don't
> > have a "default" NTP daemon in Debian.
>
> I'm not sure how much more "default" it can be than installed by default. So
> I'd say we do have a default: systemd-timesyncd.
>
> > So we should most probably decide on a "default" and have all of them
> > changed to $newdefault | time-daemon
>
> +1, except that my position is we already have that answer:
> systemd-timesyncd | time-daemon

This is only appropriate if the package doesn't care which time daemon
is installed.  If the package depends on ntp because it uses one of the
provided binaries in a script, replacing the dependency as you suggest
would be inappropriate.  A number of the packages mentioned by Bernhard
depend specifically on ntp, so the reason for that must be determined
for each individual package.

...Marvin