Re: The future of src:ntp

On 1/19/22 9:49 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
AFAICT other than systemd-timesyncd being installed by default we don't have a "default" NTP daemon in Debian.

I'm not sure how much more "default" it can be than installed by default. So I'd say we do have a default: systemd-timesyncd.

So we should most probably decide on a "default" and have all of them changed to $newdefault | time-daemon

+1, except that my position is we already have that answer:
systemd-timesyncd | time-daemon

As default both ntpsec and chrony are challengers.

For people that want something more than systemd-timesyncd, e.g. to get NTS, I think either are acceptable choices. It seems that the consensus for new installs is towards chrony over ntpsec. But I don't think we as the distro need to push either over systemd-timesyncd. For people who don't care, systemd-timesyncd should be fine.

Do you disagree on that point (that systemd-timesyncd is fine for people who don't care about NTP)? If so, can you elaborate?

And then there is the migration from src:ntp. I think only ntpsec would be an option here
Agreed (as I stated already; just agreeing here again).

sntp could depend on on the ntpdig package from #1003966, but it would probably need to carry a compatibility symlink

Good point.

ntpdate and ntp could be transitional packages on the ntpsec counterparts as well, but since ntpsec/ntpsec-ntpdate has Conflicts/Replaces on the src:ntp binary packages it needs coordination.

For this reason building the transitional binaries from src:ntpsec would probably be easier.

Sure.

How do we feel about this process then:

1. I split out ntpdig, as suggested in #1003966. This is presumably
   ntpsec-ntpdig for consistency with the rest being ntpsec-*.
   Maybe upload this at this step, to start the NEW process.
2. I create transitional binary packages in src:ntpsec:
   ntp -> ntpsec
   ntp-doc -> ntpsec-doc
   ntpdate -> ntpsec-ntpdate
   sntp -> ntpsec-ntpdig
     with an sntp -> ntpdig symlink
3. Get a review from you (Bernhard) if you're willing?
4. Upload.
5. Then Bernhard requests ftpmasters remove src:ntp. Is that how
   that works?

Can be done in any order:
N. Mass bug filing on that list of packages, that they should use:
     Depends: systemd-timesyncd | time-daemon
   If we're going to promote chrony instead, then I think we need some
   more discussion and there would be more work, as it seems we should
   then replace systemd-timesyncd with chrony in default installs too.

--
Richard