Re: The future of src:ntp

Hi,

However, development for ntp.org is slow, upstream still using BitKeeper is cumbersome, and even the testsuite needs to be fixes on some architectures for new releases. Both ntpsec and chrony are (from my POV) the better alternatives now. To a point where I would rather use chrony for new deployments, but I'm shying away from not using my own work anymore for the lack of real-life testing.

I could just step down as a maintainer/uploader and have the ntp packaging bitrot, but this would be a large disservice to our users (unless someone else continues to maintain it). I think another option would be to migrate to one of the alternatives for Bookworm.

This has sparked even less controversy than I feared, so let's use the momentum.

AFAICT other than systemd-timesyncd being installed by default we don't have a "default" NTP daemon in Debian. There are a few that depend on at least one implementation (on my Bullseye workstation)

Package: bwctl-server
Depends: ntp

Package: lava
Depends: ntp | ntpdate | chrony

Package: openstack-cloud-services
Depends: ntp

Package: openstack-compute-node
Depends: ntp

Package: progress-linux-host
Depends: ntp

Package: freeipa-server
Depends: chrony

Package: ceph-base
Recommends: chrony | time-daemon | ntp

Package: radioclk
Recommends: ntp (>= 1:4.2.2+dfsg-1) | ntpsec | chrony

Package: debci
Recommends: ntp | time-daemon

Package: openafs-fileserver
Recommends: ntp | time-daemon

Package: slony1-2-bin
Recommends: ntp | time-daemon

So we should most probably decide on a "default" and have all of them changed to $newdefault | time-daemon

As default both ntpsec and chrony are challengers. Both support NTS. Both appear to be active upstream and in Debian. Chrony has a higher popcon (possibly due to things like the default installation in the cloud images) and is default in Fedora/RHEL land. Feedback on this list also seems to favour chrony. My personal preference would be slightly towards chrony as well.

And then there is the migration from src:ntp. I think only ntpsec would be an option here, which should be 99% compatible with the existing configuration file. ntpsec even takes over the old ntp configuration when it replaces ntp already. I guess the conffile prompt would be fine during a dist-upgrade.

For the actual migration, src:ntp currently builds 4 binary packages

ntp
ntp-doc
ntpdate
sntp

ntp-doc could be an easy transitional package

sntp could depend on on the ntpdig package from #1003966, but it would probably need to carry a compatibility symlink

ntpdate and ntp could be transitional packages on the ntpsec counterparts as well, but since ntpsec/ntpsec-ntpdate has Conflicts/Replaces on the src:ntp binary packages it needs coordination.

For this reason building the transitional binaries from src:ntpsec would probably be easier.

Bernhard