Re: The future of src:ntp

Am 19.01.22 um 13:07 schrieb Marc Haber:
On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:49:53 +0100, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
wrote:
Fwiw, I'm with Marco here: If systemd-timesyncd (a simple SNTP client
which is enabled by default) doesn't fit your needs, chrony is a great
alternative.

The Beef I have with chrony is that they just implemented the parts of
the protocol that they wanted to. Most notably, ntp request packet
type 6 is missing, making it impossible to remotely monitor a chrony
server with the Monitoring Plugin check_ntp_peer. Who knows which
crucial parts of the protocol they didn't bother to implement either?

https://lwn.net/Articles/735211/

Would be interesting to see if ntpsec has improved significantly since then. At least back then, chrony was the clear winner (also by not supporting some (legacy) cruft).

Regards,
Michael