Re: transition to usrmerge to start around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:16:22AM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> I find it quite disappointing to read https://bugs.debian.org/848622 . I
> don't know if it is arrogance or ignorance, but this bug is undoubtedly
> caused by usrmerge:
>
>  frtest2:~# ls -l /usr/bin/bash
>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1283864 Aug 25 16:03 /usr/bin/bash
>  frtest2:~# dpkg -S /usr/bin/bash
>  dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/bash
`dpkg -S` not knowing about files installed by packages is nothing new.
This was always how it worked and it was never reliable to answer "which
package installed this file/which package is responsible for this file",
usrmerge just added one more case where it fails.
#134758, linked in the bug you linked, indeed covers a part of this
general problem.

> Pointing at other maintainers/packages to fix your bugs is anti-social.
"your bugs"

> Don't force Debian decide whether the usrmerge bugs should be accepted
> in the next release.  Just fix them.  The alternative is ugly. And I'm
> not thinking about the actual bugs, but about the discussion...
"usrmerge bugs"

--
WBR, wRAR