Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

Le ven. 9 sept. 2022 à 21:39, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> a écrit :

> Should we repeat this mistake? Or put this differently: is there a
> pressing need/compelling reason to switch to pipewire in bookworm?
> I.e. what I miss from the proposal are the benefits of pipewire over
> pulseaudio.
> Can you elaborate why you'd want to make the switch in bookworm?

Le lun. 12 sept. 2022 à 20:30, Jeremy Bicha
<jeremy.bicha@canonical.com> a écrit :

> A brief explanation of the project and what it does can be found at
> https://pipewire.org/ and more details are at
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ

These links and especially the second one reply to the questions what are the
benefits of pipewire and why we should switch to pipewire.

To summarize, pipewire is able to deal with a lower latency and with less CPU
usage than pulseaudio. This improves video conferencing apps, like WebRTC in
the browser. A very common practice these days. Using less CPU ressources is
also something we should be careful even if in this case it is marginal.

Pipewire improves the security by stopping applications from snooping on each
other's audio. It also asks permission to Wayland or Flatpak to record
audio (and video).

PipeWire allows a finer control of applications are linked to devices and
filters. Take a look at qpwgraph or helvum (the latter is not yet in Debian).

PipeWire does not dictate policy management. It exposes nodes to be connected,
but leaves the decisions on the connections to the policy manager.
Currently, we have two policy managers in Debian: pipewire-media-session and
wireplumber.

Best,
Dylan