Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

On 2022-09-08 17:58:25 +0200, Dylan Aïssi wrote:
> We cannot talk about PipeWire without mentioning its session manager.
> Thus, this change should go along the switch of the default session manager,
> i.e. from the deprecated pipewire-media-session to WirePlumber.
> We still use pipewire-media-session as default session manager because it
> enables PipeWire *only* for screen-sharing and not for managing audio.
> Whereas WirePlumber always configures PipeWire for audio excepted by modifying
> conf files in a non-compatible packaging way. This issues was also hit on
> the Arch Linux side [4]. This WirePlumber behavior may be solved in the next
> major release 0.5 planned later this year.

In the case WirePlumber is used, what is the status of bug 998073?

  wireplumber: fails to automatically switch to headphones when connected

(which is an issue for those who use both speakers and headphones
and want to automatically switch between them). The upstream bug

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/wireplumber/-/issues/267

is still open and users are still reporting problems. There is no such
issue with PA.