Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Dylan Aïssi <daissi@debian.org> wrote:
> I have been asked several times regarding when Debian will switch its default
> sound server from PulseAudio to PipeWire without having an official answer.

I think it's a good idea to switch the Debian GNOME default sound
service to PipeWire now. I've just been waiting for wireplumber
0.4.11-4 to make it through the NEW queue since it fixes a minor
packaging issue.

A brief explanation of the project and what it does can be found at
https://pipewire.org/ and more details are at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ

>From what I've seen, PipeWire will be as good as or better than
PulseAudio for most users. By switching now, we should get enough
feedback from both Debian Testing and Ubuntu 22.10 to fix serious bugs
or perhaps revert to PulseAudio if necessary before we freeze too much
for Debian 12.

Most but not all of the Ubuntu desktop flavors have also switched to
PipeWire for Ubuntu 22.10. I'm not involved in the decisions for other
Debian desktop flavors but they would get the same advantages and
their apps designed for PulseAudio should still work with PipeWire.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bicha