Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

Am 08.09.22 um 17:58 schrieb Dylan Aïssi:
Hi,

I have been asked several times regarding when Debian will switch its default
sound server from PulseAudio to PipeWire without having an official answer.
Thus, I suppose it's the right time to start a discussion about that.

I really like the idea of pipewire and have installed it on my personal laptop to get a better view of it. It works fine for the most part with some minor issues now and then (like applications not noticing when I switch the input/output) which I haven't noticed with PulseAudio.

PulseAudio had a rather rough start: to some extent this is not by its own fault, since drivers / ALSA were simply more buggy at that time. To some extent it was a result of the introduction of PulseAudio being rushed.

Should we repeat this mistake? Or put this differently: is there a pressing need/compelling reason to switch to pipewire in bookworm? I.e. what I miss from the proposal are the benefits of pipewire over pulseaudio.
Can you elaborate why you'd want to make the switch in bookworm?

Personally, I'd rather see pipewire mature a little bit more before we make the switch. This puts less pressure on you, as maintainer, and pipewire as upstream project.

Regards,
Michael