Re: adduser default for sgid home directories

On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 09:33 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:
> > On 25.07.22 08:46, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> > >
> > > obviously false. "No change" is always less surprising than any
> > > change,
> > > whatever the rationale is.
> >
> > It can also be unsurprising from an end-user's perspective. For
> > someone new to the system. So that line of argument does not really
> > hold.
>
> True.  Good point.
>
> I was reading this as "unsuprising to the reader (system operator)",
> but
> I see that it could mean "unsusprising to the system users".  Which
> would make more sense.

I apologize for the ambiguity; I did mean primarily for the end-user,
who would likely a) assume their documents are private, and b) not
expect any setgid weirdness.  It is also unsurprising for users of
other distributions, perhaps, which mostly use 0700.

I take your point about any change being surprising.. but we wouldn't
need a NEWS entry for that ;)

> Is there a limit to the size of these entries which makes it hard to
> be
> more precise?

None; this announcement was actually quite long.  But the feedback is
appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt