Re: adduser default for sgid home directories

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> ... Here is what the adduser team considers possible
> documentation for this, and we itend to include this in NEWS.Debian as a
> rationale for the change.

As a user who reads NEWS.Debian (via apt-listchanges) i found the text
didnt give me the answers i was looking for. I wanted to know:

- what had changed (and when)
- why has a change been made
- how the change might affects my existing/new systems - eg do i need to
manually do something to adopt it?
- how/if i can customise/revert/use the new changes?

I also found the end of the draft was written almost combatively - as a
user i dont really care about bug reports or whether developers argued
on a mailing list: i just want to know the facts and whether i need to
do anything different as a result. A more neutral phrasing would be
better and would also go out-of-date slower.

Most NEWS files suffer from this to some extent but i was hoping for
something with less about bug reports and more like:

"adduser version 3.122 has changed
pppppp (DIR_MODE setting in /etc/???? ) from aaa to bbb (one of these is
0700 i think, but i couldnt tell which?).

This change has been made to xxxx (prevent files being created with the
wrong permissions? and also for compatibility with other distributions?)

This means ccc (something about the root user's home directory and the user account made
by the installer?).

Administrators of existing systems may want to (manually chmod /root and
other home directories under /home to 0700 for consistency with the new
default? )

Administrators who want to have different behavior may (edit /etc/???
and set DIR_MODE back to xxxx? and then restart some service? or do
something else? )"

Happy to help, but i really couldnt follow the draft below very
clearly.

I hope you see this as helpful and not annoying - i would be happy to
help edit/send a patch etc when i understand the change. If you point me
to some better documentation i will be happy to help further