Re: how to convey package porting details?

On Mon, 2022-06-06 at 10:47 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Is this really worth the effort, considering that probably RISC-V is
> going to be our last port for a very long time?

There are at least two or three new architectures in the pipeline
already. loongarch64 from Loongson was already mentioned, but there is
also already arc and probably arc64 from Synopsis. I'm not sure if
CHERI and ARM Morello will require a new arch, but ISTR they will.
If The Mill ever gets off the ground I expect there will be a Debian
port of that. There are also other CPU arches supported by Linux like
C-Sky as well as ideas for ports to various kernels and other things
like CloudABI or WASM. There are also perhaps rebootstrap-only ports
or full ports for moving baselines backwards or forwards like to
amd64v3 or MIPSr1, which Debian no longer supports but could easily
support and would enable Debian on hardware that currently ships.

https://wiki.debian.org/Ports/loongarch64
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports/arc
https://wiki.debian.org/Ideas/Ports

--