Re: feedback for NEW packages: switch to using the BTS?

On April 29, 2022 11:44:54 PM UTC, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 2022-04-29 at 23:32 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why this is any better than just rejecting the
>> package?  Once it's been determined that the upload won't be
>> accepted, I don't see a benefit to having it remain in New.
>
>The initial upload might not get an ACCEPT, but later revisions of the
>package might be suitable for inclusion in Debian.
>
>The main aim of the proposal is transparency for all problems getting
>the package into NEW. Often it isn't clear what happened to a package
>that was rejected, the proposal makes it easy to find out; just check
>the bug reports for the source package.
>
>It also means the ftpmasters can file separate bugs for each problem,
>rather than combining them all into one mail.
>
>It also means the ftpmasters can easily point out other issues they
>noticed that don't block the package from being accepted and ensure
>that those issues won't be forgotten.

Most of that seems mostly reasonable, but I'm still not understanding how any of that needs to have a package we've decided not to accept sitting in New?

In my mind if a package is in New it's in one of two states:

1.  Not reviewed yet.

2.  Partly/completely reviewed, pending resolution of a question (e.g. prod sent to maintainer, waiting for reply).

What's the advantage of added a third:

3.  Not going to be accepted, waiting for a new upload or for enough time to pass before rejecting.

Scott K