Re: feedback for NEW packages: switch to using the BTS?

Paul Wise wrote:

>During the discussions about NEW on debian-devel in recent times, I had
>the idea that instead of the current mechanism of sending REJECT mails,
>Debian could switch to using the BTS for most feedback on NEW packages.
>
>This means that most discussion about NEW packages would become public,
>but of course the ftpmasters could opt to send private mail instead if
>in some cases if there were sensitive issues to be discussed.
>
>The ftpmasters could simply file severity serious bug reports against
>NEW packages that have issues blocking their entry into Debian. When
>there are minor issues noticed at the same time, then file bugs of a
>lower severity. Only when a NEW package has not had its serious bugs
>fixed in a long time would an eventual removal and REJECT mail happen,
>perhaps after a few months of zero action on the bug reports.

Just to clarify: is this suggesting that packages from NEW would end
up in the archive even with serious bugs? If not, what's the point of
the "eventual removal" above? I'm not following you here...

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews