Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Thanks for starting this conversation!

>  5. We could split out the non-free firmware packages into a new
>     non-free-firmware component in the archive, and allow a specific exception >     only to allow inclusion of those packages on our official media. We would >     then generate only one set of official media, including those non-free
>     firmware packages.
>
>     (We've already seen various suggestions in recent years to split up the
>     non-free component of the archive like this, for example into
>     non-free-firmware, non-free-doc, non-free-drivers, etc. Disagreement
>     (bike-shedding?) about the split caused us to not make any progress on >     this. I believe this project should be picked up and completed. We don't >     have to make a perfect solution here immediately, just something that works >     well enough for our needs today. We can always tweak and improve the setup
>     incrementally if that's needed.)
>
> These are the most likely possible options, in my opinion. If you have a better
> suggestion, please let us know!
>
> I'd like to take this set of options to a GR, and do it soon. I want to get a > clear decision from the wider Debian project as to how to organise firmware and > installation images. If we do end up changing how we do things, I want a clear
> mandate from the project to do that.

Personally, I'm a fan of option #5. However, I'd like to point out that these are two separate things, the first of which (creating a non-free-firmware archive component) would benefit users greatly and doesn't require a GR. I use non-free on my systems pretty much exclusively for non-free firmware. On my systems that require it, I would appreciate an archive that is ONLY non-free firmware. That would ensure that I never accidentally pull in a piece of (non-firmware) software from non-free.

In the past, I have absentmindedly installed rar or unrar from non-free when I meant to install unrar-free from main. Ideally that shouldn't be a mistake that could even happen. With a non-free-firmware archive, I could ensure that it never happens again.

Thanks,

Andres