Re: feedback for NEW packages: switch to using the BTS?

Hi Paul,

Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 06:46:43PM +0800 schrieb Paul Wise:
> There are two main categories of NEW packages; source and binary.
> Packages adding an new source should have an ITP bug, but don't
> always, for eg the Rust/Golang teams don't file them for every
> library. Packages adding a new binary package often have a transition
> bug, but those are usually filed after the upload is accepted.
>
> Filing a new WNPP bug for every NEW package upload seems a bit tedious
> and I think lots of people aren't going to bother/remember to do it.

But filing an ITP bug is cheap.  The R-pkg team has a script
itp_from_debian_dir[1] which creates this bug automatically once the
packaging work is done.

> The proposal I make would mean that the manual bug filing for every
> upload wouldn't be needed, instead the BTS would know about packages
> in NEW and ftpmasters and others could file bugs against them, which
> would mainly only be needed when there are REJECTable issues present.
>
> In addition there could be separate bugs for each individual issue,
> rather than one long discussion about multiple different issues.
> This is probably especially important for low severity issues.

I'm fine with this suggestion as well.

> > (BTW, I usually bounce any reject to the according WNPP bug to have
> > the issue documented in a publicly visible place where any interested
> > person should look.)
>
> That seems reasonable if the ftpmasters are fine with that.

Ftpmaster did not agreed with my suggestion so far.

> If the
> BTS for NEW proposal gets implemented it would no longer be needed.

That's true.  I just wanted to mention that some of your ideas
are in a way used even now.

> Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 08:54:05AM +0800 schrieb Paul Wise:
>
> > > The changes that are needed to make this happen include:
>
> I guess tracker.d.o would also need to show NEW packages.

This would be extremely helpful.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/dh-r/-/blob/master/scripts/itp_from_debian_dir