Re: shim-signed

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>]] Hanno 'Rince' Wagner
>>
>> I am a very firm believer of giving people as much information as
>> possible while being responsible. Meaning, that I would love to have
>> that documentation - including a big warning sign which sais "if you
>> follow this path, you may brick your machine and this is your problem,
>> not ours". If someone is interested to learn _how_ the security is
>> done and implemented, why should this be unavailable?
>
>Sadly, warnings generally don't work because people will ignore them and
>break their systems and then blame the people writing the
>documentation, causing load and grief on people were trying to be
>helpful by writing the docs.
>
>I don't think we should invest a lot into writing the docs required
>because we can use that effort elsewhere.  Documentation requires
>maintenance, just like everything else and if it's rarely used, we get
>little value out of that effort.  If somebody is very eager to write and
>maintain that documentation over time, by all means, but we haven't seen
>anyone step up to do so.

+1

Alongside doing technical stuff, I've written a fair amount of
user-facing docs for UEFI, shim and secure boot over the last few
years. In the limited time I have available, I've tried to focus on
the common cases for people using an expected simple setup. I'd *love*
some help to cover more of the space.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews