Re: Advice for package needing stuff installed in /srv (node-shiny-server)

Thank you all for your advice. I have been helping out to get this
packaged. I agree with Nilesh but am chiming in, but I apologize if I
am just repeated what is already clear.

/srv/shiny-server is upstream's default location for files to serve.
It starts out with the sample files but the user replaces those with
their own. The sample files start there and provide the user proof
that the server is working and an explanation on how to replace the
files.

The server directory is easily changed by modifying the config file to
whatever is desired. So it is not essential to host here, just the
default. Everything would still work if it were another directory
specified in config.

The issue is that the documentation, samples and all of the upstream
online documentation, e.g.
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/219002337-Shiny-Server-Quick-Start-Host-a-directory-of-applications
(or on third party sites like Stack Overflow), refer to
/srv/shiny-server as the default location for hosting. I doubt
upstream would want to change all of that without a strong reason.

>From a user's perspective it would be much clearer if Debian could do
the same, in my opinion, so all of this existing and distributed
documentation and support still applies to new users of the Debian
version. Is there a technical solution to enable this, e.g. post
installation, that satisfies Debian's requirements?

Many thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Brown MD MSc FRCPC
For encryption, OpenPGP public key available on request.