Re: Advice for package needing stuff installed in /srv (node-shiny-server)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 01:15:04PM -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> Patch every instance of /srv/shiny-server to /var/lib/shiny-server.
> The admin can customize from there.

From FHS §5.8.1,

    This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application
    or the system. State information is data that programs modify while
    they run, and that pertains to one specific host. Users must never
    need to modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's operation,
    and the specific file hierarchy used to store the data must not be
    exposed to regular users.

So, I think this suggestion of storing shiny-server (presumably
modifyable) configurations and served data in /var/lib/shiny-server
would violate policy.

--
|\|\  https://rak.ac | BD95 8F7B F8FC 4A11 C97A