Re: RFC: pam: dropping support for NIS/NIS+?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 10:23:06PM +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> Doing a quick check, PAM only seems to rely on the RPC libraries for
> changing NIS passwords. Personally, I think losing that would not be a
> big deal. While I can still see NIS being useful in some corners of the
> world, I cannot imagine such an environment wanting to enforce password
> expiration. And if you don't expire passwords, then you don't need PAM
> to be able to change passwords - running yppasswd should be fine for
> voluntary password changes.

Thanks, that's an important nuance that I'd forgotten about (or I would have
mentioned it).  Indeed, dropping support in PAM for NIS won't make the NSS
modules go away - so a properly-configured /etc/nsswitch.conf will still
give you user/group lookups via NIS or NIS+, and there are other ways to
handle password changes.

IMHO this further raises the bar for keeping support for these (insecure,
obsolete) backends in pam.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 04:26:02PM -0400, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> Before any discussion takes place, I would like to point out a previous
> attempt of Fedora trying to get rid of NIS/NIS+ back in 2021.  Please
> check out the LWN article at https://lwn.net/Articles/874174/ , which
> would definitely be helpful for the condition in Debian.

Thanks for the pointer.  I think that's useful in terms of understanding the
landscape in the abstract, but shouldn't be taken as a definitive answer
because it doesn't really address whether any Debian users depend on this
functionality today.

NIS also dates from a period when rsh was considered acceptable, and unless
I'm mistaken, has a comparable level of security.  Allowing access to
password hashes for users based on the IP of the machine you are querying
from is not a sane security policy, and I don't think we should indefinitely
make Debian worse for all other users (bigger minimal system == worse) to
cater to users of these obsolete, insecure systems.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/