RFC: pam: dropping support for NIS/NIS+?

Hi folks,

As of glibc 2.32, upstream has split out RPC support; if you want RPC
functionality, you now need to link against libtirpc instead, which is a
superior, more featureful implementation.

This is a good thing architecturally, but one of the side effects for us is
that, via PAM, we are now pulling a large number of crypto libraries into
the transitively-essential set, because pam_unix links against libtirpc for
NIS / NIS+ support.

Sam Hartman made a valiant attempt to make this an optional dynamic
dependency, but ultimately abandoned the effort.

So I'd like to take a step back and challenge an underlying assumption by
asking: do any of our users actually *need* this functionality?  The RPC
functionality is only used for NIS and NIS+.  NIS is historically quite
insecure, and I'm not aware of any efforts to improve its security (AFAIK
the linkage of the crypto libraries doesn't fix the fundamentally insecure
interfaces of NIS).  NIS+ is intended to be a more secure version of NIS,
but to my knowledge there has never been a free implementation in the
archive; this was a Sun-specific technology, which Sun deprecated two
decades ago[1].

If we dropped support for NIS and NIS+ in the next Debian release, would
anybody miss it?  Or has everyone moved on to LDAP / AD by now?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

[1] "Prior to the release of Solaris 9 in 2002, Sun announced its intent to
remove NIS+ from Solaris in a future release and now recommends that
customers instead use an LDAP-based lookup scheme."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIS+