Re: Keep both images but stop pretending no-free is unofficial

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 01:25:31PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> >> liberated.computer it is refurbished and some components like wifi cards replaced so it works with 100% free software.
> >
> >Intel Core i5-3320M CPU (dual-core, four threads, 3rd Gen)
> >
> >So no.
> >

> What is no here? This project don't exist or they don't want to provide a libre image?
Intel CPUs contain non-free microcode. Using them even implies enabling
the Debian non-free repo to get security fixes for it.
Intel GPUs reportedly don't work good enough, or at all, without non-free
firmware, according to the surveys done during the bullseye freeze.

> Debian's free image works on these laptops and if we make only non-free images they won't be able to provide a fully free image.
Eh, Debian's free image works on a lot of hardware, especially when you
don't need to download anything during the install (e.g. because you use a
DVD image or don't install a GUI), the installed system, on the other
hand...

But I agree that technically it's fine "to provide entirely free Debian
media along with a libre laptop" in this case.

--
WBR, wRAR