Re: Keep both images but stop pretending no-free is unofficial

Hakan Bayındır dijo [Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 09:21:07PM +0300]:
> A further evolution of this idea might be adding another question to
> Debian Installer regarding to non-free software.
>
> If the users choose “No” for enabling non-free repositories, another
> question might ask “Your system seems to need some firmware packages
> to operate correctly, do you want to enable only the firmware
> packages, but not the other non-free software?”
>
> Normally, the installer asks for “firmware.zip” file if it can’t
> continue, but it’s already noted that making it work is very very
> hard (I only succeeded once in my 15 years of Debian use). Maybe
> making this process easier helps?

And this still does not get us all the way there -- There are many
computers that can run Debian that won't even try to boot in the
absence of a non-free firmware on the boot media.

Yes, I'm one of the maintainers for raspi-firmware... :-/