Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 13:52:14 +0000, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 01:10:19PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> > > You're trying to produce packages from CI builds or other automation
> > > where you sometimes have native Debian revisions.
> > >
> > > * you are producing a package where you have distinct upstream and
> > >   debian branches, and you cannot control  the upstream version number.
> > >

> > Doesn't this make it 'not a native debian package'?
>
> yes, exactly, that's the problem.
>
> > I thought the whole point of debian native packages was that there was
> > no 'upstream' and it was only for debian so you _are_ in control of
> > the source, the versioning and the releases?
>
> yes, that was the idea when native packages were introduced over
> 20 ago, when there were hardly any Debian forks, and certainly no
> CI systems and other automated systems which 'constantly fork'.
>
> > As soon as that stops
> > being true then should one not shift to making it a standard
> > 'upstream+debian revision' non-native package?
>
> yes, we should convert all native packages in our archive,
> the idea of a native package has been obsoleted for long.

I think there are still some cases where it makes sense, e.g. for
“meta-source” packages where the upstream is really another package (e.g.
binutils-mingw-w64 and friends). Suffixes for downstreams work fine, see
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdb-mingw-w64 for one instance.

Regards,

Stephen