Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

Ian Jackson wrote:

>1. Why is 1.0-without-diff not always worse than 3.0 (native) ?
>
>1.0 native is sometimes better than 3.0 (native) because dpkg-source
>refuses to build a 3.0 native package with a Debian revision in its
>version number.
>
>This prohibition exists solely because of a doctrinal objection to
>native-format packages with Debian revisions.  There is no technical
>reason why this restriction could not be lifted.  I sometimes upload
>this way and I have never had anyone report problems[1] with it.
>
>IMO there is nothing wrong with native format packages with Debian
>revisions.  They work just fine.  For a small paockage, this is often
>a good choice, because it avoids dealing with patches at all.

Why on earth *would* you mess around using Debian revisions on a
native-format package, though? IMHO it's pointless and is just going
to confuse people. Unless you can explain a good reason to need this,
I'd argue strongly that the 3.0 native support is DTRT for the
principle of least surprise if nothing else!

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews