Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:

> The breakdown in terms of packages count is:

>  patch_system | direct_changes | vcs | count
> --------------+----------------+-----+-------
>  dpatch       | no             | no  |     3
>  quilt        | no             | no  |    26
>  quilt        | no             | yes |    96
>  none         | no             | no  |   185
>  none         | no             | yes |    78
>  none         | yes            | no  |   166
>  none         | yes            | yes |    74

> I propose to file bugs for packages in all categories above, except for
> packages in the last category that are maintained in an active VCS
> repository, because those are the most likely to be be using a git
> workflow that makes it hard to use the 3.0 format (even if I don't fully
> understand the arguments against using single-debian-patch in that
> case).

If you're going to omit the ones in the last category, I think you should
also omit the ones in the none/no/yes category, since they may be packages
that intermittantly have changes and are similarly using a VCS-based
workflow that doesn't want to use the 3.0 format.

A mass bug filing for the first three categories seems like the change
with the biggest potential to benefit Debian, since it's a direct
simplification of the number of ways packages are maintained in the
archive.  The packages without any patch system feel a bit less
interesting.