Re: Q: systemd-timer vs cron

On Sun, 2022-03-13 at 18:02 +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:

> I don't think that's a very constructive line of argument. As a former
> maintainer, it was evident that user crontabs (crontab -e) are still
> very popular, as are some other perhaps niche features, and I've never
> had the impression that anti-systemd has anything to do with it.

As a systemd user who has a large user crontab I have to agree.

I'd like to migrate to systemd timers, but there are a few blockers:

The cron feature of sending the output via email by default isn't
possible to get easily with systemd timers or systemd-cron, unless you
modify every single timer to manually send email or use systemd-cron
and have every single timer fail.

Having everything in one file makes them more convenient to edit.

Being able to implicitly share environment variables between groups of
crontab lines is more convenient.

Figuring out if there native systemd equivalents for features I've
implemented manually, such as the lock and sleep times to ensure system
load isn't high due to running everything at once or disabling jobs
when the network isn't online.

Spending the time to migrate everything.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise