Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Quoting Andreas Tille (2022-02-25 10:43:42)
> Am Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 10:35:43AM +0100 schrieb Johannes Schauer
> Marin Rodrigues:
> > Is this not something that can be solved by salvaging [1] the
> > package in question?
>
> My question is targeting in this direction since salvaging is what we
> somehow agreed upon.
>
> > Do a tiny NMU fixing an RC bug (and only that) first but then after
> > waiting 21 days you can get the packaging into shape without your
> > changes being classified as a NMU and thus without the restrictions
> > we put upon the changes allowed in a NMU.
>
> In this specific case I would have needed to keep my focus on that
> package over at least three weeks.  I have lots of packages that are
> "raising singnals" (testing removal or other things that end up in my
> mailbox) and once xdelta3 has no RC bugs any more it would have
> vanished from my radar.

Please note that "has no RC bugs" is *NOT* the threshold for NMUs, and
certainly not if your approach to doing the NMU involved package
refactoring: When you do an NMU, it is your responsibility to ensure
that your changes did not introduce new bugs (not only RC bugs, any
bug!).

One of the reasons it is recommended to do minimal NMUs is exactly that:
To limit the risk of introducing new bugs.

When you choose to do a complex NMU which involves refactoring packaging
(because is smelled), then you should expect to continue to keep that
"on your radar" for some time because subtle bugs may have been
introduced from such a radical change.

 - Jonas